What are the defects?
The lawn mowers were incorrectly supplied with a single direction vented fuel cap. The proper fuel cap should be a dual direction vented fuel cap.
What are the hazards?
Pressure may build up inside the fuel tank and fuel might escape if the fuel cap is released too quickly, potentially causing an injury. If an ignition source is nearby, and fuel escapes, there exists a potential fire hazard.
What should consumers do?
Consumers should exercise caution when using their Affected Mower. MTD will arrange for the single direction vented fuel caps to be replaced with dual direction vented fuel caps, free of charge, via post. If consumers plan on using their Affected Mower prior to obtaining the replacement fuel caps, they are advised:
- to store the Affected Mower in a cool place, preferably indoors, out of direct sunlight - heat exposure could increase the pressure build up
- not to fill the fuel tanks more than half way
- if fuel is spilled, to wipe it up and not start the Affected Mower for at least 5 minutes
- when loosening the fuel cap, to maintain a firm grip and slowly loosen the cap in order to allow any pressure build up to release
- not to completely remove the fuel cap until they can no longer hear pressure releasing
- if fuel starts to escape, to tighten the fuel cap and call their local Cub Cadet dealer immediately - a list of Cub Cadet dealers can be found at www.cubcadet.com.au.
MTD will write to the affected customers directly, advising them of the recall action. MTD will arrange for replacement fuel caps to be sent out to the consumers via post, free of charge. Consumers will be notified that they will receive the replacement fuel caps in the mail, and to return the single direction vented fuel caps to MTD via reply paid post.
Call MTD Products Australia Pty Ltd on 1300 951 594 Mon-Fri 9am-5pm or email Luke.Turner@mtdproducts.com.
Traders who sold this product
MTD Dealer network across Australia.
Where the product was sold
Dates available for sale