Product safety tips for online shopping
When shopping online, we recommend thinking about product safety and checking your purchases meet mandatory Australian requirements.
If you are buying a product from an overseas retailer, be aware that – although required by law – the business might not comply with the mandatory safety standards and bans that protect you and your family from injury.
You can use the following tips to make a safer online purchase:
- Check that the goods have not been recalled in Australia. You can also check international recalls at GlobalRecalls.
- Explore the mandatory safety requirements for products ranging from aquatic toys, to bicycle helmets, to treadmills.
- For safety information about electrical appliances and goods, contact the Electrical Regulatory Authority Council (ERAC).
It's also important to remember that consumer guarantees may be difficult to enforce if you purchase a product from an overseas supplier. Consumers who have difficulties with an international business can also contact the consumer protection agency in the country where the business is located.
Information for suppliers
All businesses supplying products to Australia – including online stores – must comply with mandatory safety standards and bans.
To ensure the products you plan to supply to Australia comply with mandatory product safety regulations:
- check the list of safety standards and bans to find out if your product is regulated
- if the product is regulated, review the supplier information for your product
- check the goods you want to supply have not been recalled in Australia.
- See publication: Consumer product safety online