New mandatory standard to ensure safety of self-balancing scooters
The Minister for Small Business and Assistant Treasurer, the Hon Kelly O'Dwyer, has today introduced a mandatory standard under the Australian Consumer Law to ensure the safety of self-balancing scooters (previously called ‘hoverboards’).
The ACCC conducted a safety investigation and found imminent fire safety risks result from defective electrical circuitry and substandard lithium-ion batteries in some hoverboards.
There have been a number of hoverboard related house fires and incidents of hoverboards sparking, overheating or producing smoke, both in Australia and overseas.
The ACCC recommended the Minister introduce a national safety standard after consultation with suppliers and electrical safety experts. The mandatory standard has the same requirements as the interim ban and will last for two years.
Details about the standard
The standard will reduce the risk of house fires associated with self-balancing scooters overheating while charging, lessening the risk of injury or death to consumers.
The standard covers two-wheeled devices. At this time there is insufficient evidence to require regulation of single wheeled devices in Australia, but the ACCC is continuing to monitor the safety of single wheeled devices.
The ACCC will work with state and territory electrical safety regulators to develop a longer-term solution during the next two years.
Retailers and suppliers can find information about the safety of self-balancing scooters and what they should do on the Product Safety Australia website.
The safety standard is registered on the Federal Register of Legislation as Consumer Goods (Self-balancing Scooters) Safety Standard 2016.
What consumers should do
- If buying a self-balancing scooter, confirm the product has been tested and that it meets the requirements specified in the mandatory safety standard.
- If you have already purchased a self-balancing scooter, check if it is subject to recall.
- You can also contact your retailer or manufacturer to confirm if the product has been tested and if it meets the requirements specified in the mandatory safety standard.
Self-balancing scooter recalls
Recalls to date
- TopBuy Australia—Topbuy.com.au Electric Hoverboard Balance Scooter
- Hunter Sports—Moonwalker Electric Balancing Scooter sold at BIG W
- eBay Trader 'SelloProducts'—Self-Balancing 2 wheels Electric Scooter
- Catchoftheday.com.au Pty Ltd—AirWalk Self-Balancing Scooter
- Techwheel—Techwheel Z-01 (ChargerOnly)
- Scooter Emporium—Self Balancing Scooter with Charger
- Go Easy Australia - Go Skitz Self Balancing E Board models S01 & S03 ( Charger Only)
- Mod Products—Mod Board Model MOD001(Charger Only)
- Jyro Pty Ltd—Jyro Self-Balancing 2 Wheel Electric Scooter
- Smart Scooter ANZ—Smart Scooter 'Hoverboard'
- TCB Contracting Pty Ltd—Balancing Scooter 'Hoverboard'
- Freego Australasia Pty Ltd—Freego Hoverboard W1, W2 and W2SR (Charger Only)
- Smart Wheels Australia Pty Ltd—"Neo" Hoverboard (Charger and Appliance Connector Only)
- Ohmama—"Swegway" Hoverboard
- Crazy Technology Pty Ltd—Smart Electric Self-Balancing Scooter / Hoverboard (Charger Only)
- Austwide Consumer Products—Two Wheel Self Balance Drift Board ("Hoverboard")
- Glideboard—Balance Wheel Electric Scooter ("Hoverboards")
- Awesomewheels Pty Ltd—SEGGi Self-Balancing 2 Wheel Electric Scooter ("Hoverboard")
- Home Garden Sales—Smart Self-Balancing Scooter/Hoverboard Charger
- Hoverboard Store—2 Wheel Self-Balancing Scooter/ Hoverboard (Charger Only)
- DayNight Technology Pty Ltd—Self-Balancing Scooter/Hoverboard
Questions about the most recent recalls should be directed to the relevant state or territory regulator:
- ACT: ACT Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate
- NSW: NSW Fair Trading, Energy and Utilities, Home Building Service
- QLD: Queensland Treasury, Queensland Government Electrical Safety Office
- SA: Office of the Technical Regulator, Energy and environment
- TAS: WorkSafe Tasmania
- VIC: Energy Safe Victoria
- WA: Department of Commerce, EnergySafety Division